360 cid T-head inline four-cylinder engine, single Stromberg updraft carburetor, 80 HP at 2,400 rpm, three-speed manual transmission, solid front and rear axles with parallel semi-elliptic leaf springs and friction-type shock absorbers, and mechanical drum brakes with four shoes per drum; wheelbase: 130” One of the early American automobile industry’s most colorful and skilled personalities, Harry C. Stutz built his first horseless carriage, nicknamed “Old Hickory,” in 1898 at age 22. A new car following in 1900 with a single-cylinder engine he designed and built. Following stints with auto parts, tire and carburetor companies, Stutz and two partners established the American Motor Car Company, where Stutz designed and built his first production model. Just a year later, Stutz joined the Marion Motor Car Company in Indianapolis, where he served as chief engineer and plant manager. There, Stutz began racing the cars he engineered and during this time, he introduced such innovations as four-shoe-per drum brakes and an innovative transaxle design. Following the Willys takeover of Marion in 1908, Stutz quit in 1910 to found the Stutz Auto Parts Company and the Ideal Motor Car Company in 1911, where Stutz conceived his vision for a top-quality American sports car for less than $2,000 – one capable of taking on the world’s best. The first Stutz car bearing his name was celebrated as "the car that made good in a day" by virtue of its sterling performance and ability to finish at the inaugural – and punishing – Indianapolis ‘500’ just days after it was built, Stutz abundantly proved both his engineering capabilities and the quality of his products. Following this outstanding performance, Stutz cars sold well and earned an enviable reputation and rising demand for durability and fierce performance. A plant expansion and a planned switch to Stutz-designed engines was financed with a stock offering and financiers eventually gained control of the company, prompting Stutz to sell and leave his own company. However, the momentum of Stutz’s leadership and his engineering prowess continued to profoundly influence his products, including the elemental Bearcat sports model and the Bearcat-derived Model H, which carried more elaborate bodywork and differed from its famous stablemate only in the placement of its gear lever. Fast, nimble, and reliable, the Model H is one of the rarest, yet most reliable, “Nickel Era” cars for today’s collectors who like to drive, as well as appreciate, their historic automobiles. This 1920 Stutz Model H Seven-Passenger Sport Phaeton was acquired in Auburn during the 1980s by Stutz Club member, Ron Kneebone. A good and solid original car retaining the correct and proper engine, chassis, and body, it was eventually restored by Mr. Kneebone over a 10-year timeframe and completed prior to its show debut at the inaugural Hilton Head Concours d’Elegance in 2002. During this timeframe, the Stutz also earned AACA National First Prize honors. Subsequently in 2009, the vehicle passed to another Stutz Club member from the Carolinas, who performed some mild maintenance work and installed a correct, original-type clutch assembly in preparation for enjoyment on two Horseless Carriage Club tours, during which the Stutz performed exceptionally well. Most recently, it joined the collection of another Stutz Club member, where it has been placed with a number of important Stutz models of the era. Clearly benefiting from proper care, an enduring show-quality restoration, and proven on tours, this 1920 Stutz Model H Seven-Passenger Sport Phaeton marks a wonderfully sporting touchstone to the company founded by Harry Stutz as a highly capable post-WWI vehicle on all levels. Best of all, as a CCCA Full Classic automobile, it will provide a welcome and interesting entry into a multitude of desirable events. Posted on behalf of Worldwide Auctioneers.