This vehicle is no longer available for sale on ClassicCars.com. Please set an alert if you would like to be notified as soon as siimilar vehicles become available.
When the Flathead V8 was introduced in 1932, the coachbuilder that would be best remembered for its contributions to the professional car market using that chassis would be the Shop of Siebert and Associates in Toledo, Ohio, known colloquially as Siebert. Originally started as a wagon-making business in 1853 by founder Fred. L Siebert, from 1933 to 1964 they produced a highly practical succession of low-priced, coachbuilt professional vehicles using cut-and-stretched Ford and Mercury platforms which included hearses, limousines, and ambulances. Siebert's clever decision to use standard Ford side doors, cowls, windshields, hoods, and running boards served them well, as their line of professional vehicles proved to be a practical and highly economical option for those companies looking to replace their worn out equipment during the height of the Great Depression. Indeed, Siebert could rightfully claim in advertisements that their vehicles offered 'economical operation, dignified appearance, and luxurious appointments at a price that makes it unnecessary to use obsolete, shabby equipment'. Siebert's designs later complemented Ford's new styling in 1939, and from then to 1941 they sold many Ford and Mercury ambulances, hearses and service cars to cost-conscious businesses and municipalities prior to World War II. Newly added to the Siebert line in 1940, this 1940 Ford Ambulance conversion is based on Ford's sedan delivery truck platform whereas previous conversions were based on Ford and Mercury passenger cars, although those platforms remained in production during that time as well. This Siebert ambulance features a Ford Flathead motor and 3-speed standard transmission with floor shifter along with much of its original equipment. The interior of the ambulance features an original gurney as well as original cabinets, window shades, and interior lights and vents. On the roof is the original light and siren unit which has been tested and is in working condition. The rear roof area features an 'Ambulance' plaque for vehicle identification that appears to be original as well. The interior of the ambulance is in good shape for age, especially considering its intended usage as a work vehicle. The exterior shows nicely and the Flathead engine also runs very well. Overall, this 1940 Ford Ambulance is a wonderful example of a rare and seldom seen class of working vehicles of which many were not preserved once they were worn out. This ambulance is a true survivor and not only is it an historical artifact; it's a great driver too.