The story begins in 1999 with the initial build; purchasing the kit directly from Classic Roadsters while they were owned by the original founder. Don Scott, who purchased the company subsequently, sold me the suspension, engine (a SBC 350 built by a race shop that Don used, dyno’d at 312 hp), and T5 transmission. The IFS is MII, the rear is GM 8.5” (ten bolt) with locking diff. Rear suspension is triangulated four bar control arm; anti sway bars front and rear. All other components are as was sold with the full kit from Classic; VW windshield wipers, motor and linkage; Chevette door and window hardware, Chevette steering column, VDO gauges, Vintage Air, etc.
After driving it regularly for about 10 years and putting most of the 12,000 miles on the car, I brought it in for a repaint and a few upgrades. The gelcoat had begun to fade, and a few upgrades were desired.
Such as, after breaking the Mustang clutch cable once (and never liking the hard feel), we installed a hydraulic clutch. Unfortunately, the power brake booster had to go. I still have it and will provide it with the car in case someone wants to modify the pedal linkage to get the clutch master cylinder outboard a couple of inches; then, the brake booster can go back on. We also installed some softer springs in the front, and raised the bump stops in the rear. With the interior showing some age, we installed custom seats from Corbeau, and had a local shop make matching door panels and install new carpeting.
We replaced and updated the sound system, new head unit and new amp (installed in the trunk). We reworked the water valve and cable used by the heater/air system. Initially it had too much of an angle on the cable, so we installed a new valve and moved the air controls to the top of the lower dash panel with the radio going to the bottom. So, the water temp control now operates much more smoothly.
We also reworked the starter system. During most of the years of driving, it had the very common SBC “hot start” problem. It’s permanently fixed now, we have a new high torque mini “Powermaster” starter, remote solenoid, new wiring, modified the exhaust pipe to move it further away from the starter, and installed some header wrap. I've also installed a high dollar AGM battery. Great power in a small package; you don't have much room in the engine bay and I needed to get the battery as far away from the headers as possible.
This is a really fun car to drive and show off. You can’t gas up without someone walking over to ask about your “Cobra” or perhaps they don’t have a clue what it is. For now, I have to make room for my next project and there is just no room left in the driveway.