The Lincoln Continental was introduced in 1940, just prior to the onset of World War II. The Lincoln Marquee had weathered The Great Depression and the Continental signaled to the world a desire to compete in the luxury car segment. The Continental was designed in 1939 especially for Edsel Ford to show off to his high society friends in Palm Beach. The design was modern, elegant, and slightly European with a long front bonnet that gracefully concealed a potent V12 engine. The interior was lavishly appointed and amenities were offered as standard equipment. The exterior was simple, with little trim or chrome, to rely on the beauty of the design instead of trying to attract attention with bright eye-catching pieces. The rear fenders were covered with skirts over the wheels. This was stretched to match the rear trunk. Located in the rear of the vehicle was a covered spare tire. This was an afterthought; as production came to a close, the designers noticed there was little room for a spare, so they covered it and incorporated it into the vehicle’s trunk. This would become a signature design for the Continental series. The 1939–1948 Continental is recognized as a "Full Classic" by the Classic Car Club of America, one of the last-built cars to be so recognized.
This Lincoln benefited from a frame off restoration in 2008-2009. It has been maintained in wonderful condition since. It is one of 542 built. There is a small 1-inch blemish on the chrome on the left side of the grill. All gauges work as does the radio. The interior is still near perfect. The engine was rebuilt and the car runs flawlessly. It has been fitted with two water pumps. This Lincoln scored 99 points and came in first place at the 2015 Ohio Region CCCA Stan Hywet meet.