Mercedes-Benz O 6600 bus, the only one still existing worldwide...!!
Even Daimler-Benz admits: there is only this bus of the heaviest und biggest postwar-series of 0 5000 / O 6600 known globalwide.
Restart after the Second World War:
The O 4500 originated at the end of the 1930s and had already been manufactured between 1942 and 1945 at the Gaggenau plant for the "Deutsche Wehrmacht".
After the end of World War II temporarily interrupted production was resumed. However, the program initially consisted only of the back produced bonnet-war type O 4500.
The Reproduction of the O 4500 (O stands for Omnibus) as the first postwar bus started in March 1948 - short time later renamend in O 5000 - with the original tool kits still available from prewar times....
From the introduction in summer 1950 of the conventional hooded bus O 6600, the O 6600 replaced the previous five-ton bus O 5000 in 1950. The only difference was the "modern" technique" of the O 6600 with the new developed 6-zylinder diesel engine from the OM 315 series, now with 8,3 liters and 145 hp, a better brake-system, a higher rate of payload of more than 6 tons and a max speed of 85 km/h.
This last big cab behind-engine model from Daimler-Benz was offered for sale until 1955 (from 1954 under the model designation O 304) and attained a production volume of 383 Busses and 242 chassis.
The vehicle was acquired in bad condition about 30 years ago. The crucial factor for buying was - besides childhood memories - the fact that there is no second omnibus of this type worldwide.
The bus has to be totally restored and was cored up to the frame.
The complete technique was build out and renewed including clutch, engine, electricity, brakes, axle box, differential, drive shaft, air pressure device, spring behind and in front and more...
The vehicle was new metal plated.