Vehicle Description
Horse-drawn steam powered fire pumpers were the standard
firefighting apparatus of the late 19th Century, almost all of them
using boiler technology patented by Charles Fox of Cincinnati,
Ohio. Chris Ahrens began building fire apparatus in 1870, forming
Ahrens Manufacturing Company in 1875. By 1910, he was joined by his
son-in-law Charles Fox, and the company had become known as
Ahrens-Fox where they continued to build from their Cincinnati, OH
facility.
In 1919 the company introduced and patented the first modern
triple-combination, self-propelled pumper. While other
manufacturers used centrifugal or rotary-type pumps, Ahrens-Fox
preferred a 4-cylinder piston pump which was well proven in the
field and widely known and accepted by fire departments.
Ahrens-Fox, perhaps reflecting Charles Fox's experience as a fire
fighter in Cincinnati, became known for the high quality of its
apparatus. Their last example was delivered in 1952 to Hope Hose
Company #1 in Tarrytown, New York.
The super original example offered here is a 1928 Ahrens-Fox N-S-4
triple combination pumper powered by a 998ci T-Head 6-cylinder
Super Power engine with dual exhaust valves producing 110
horsepower. It retains its Register No. 3321 identification body
tags and was rated with a 1000gpm flow rate when in use. For extra
starting reliability in all conditions, the factory electrical
system consists of a Delco Magneto and Bosch distributor. It also
features traditional right-hand-drive controls, 3-speed manual
transmission, 40-gallon fuel tank, front & rear solid axles with
leaf springs, and mechanical drum brakes. Apparatus equipment still
retained on our well survived N-S-4 include two extension ladders,
correct Ryan-Lite heads lights, forward-mounted Sterling electric
siren, 12" chrome hand bell, hose bin & reel, onboard
water/chemical tank, 2.5" hose, under hood service light & oiling
can, 2 standard fire extinguishers (Rough-Riders), 2 small
extinguishers, 2 large diameter hose hook-ups, 1 screened pick up,
4 spray nozzles, 1 spear pick, 1 pry bar, and more connections and
spare pieces in the storage bins including period hand tools.
The front-mounted piston pump featured the easily identifiable
Ahrens-Fox spherical air chamber. Our example was placed in service
as the very first motorized engine apparatus ever used by the
Fairview Fire Department in 1928. The overall patina of FFD Engine
No. 1 is outstanding with much of the original painted filigree
details still faintly visible on body panels and controls, along
with the original wood dash, gauges, and green linoleum floor
coverings. We replaced the engine oil, cleaned the fuel filter,
replaced the original fan belt, & installed a new battery. It
continues to start and run wonderfully providing a robust exhaust
note and massive torque! The original fuel tank appears to be in
good shape inside, but it now utilizes a smaller, auxiliary fuel
cell for operation. We have not made any efforts to utilize the
actual pump, but it appears to be all intact like the rest of the
truck. Sold on Bill of Sale. Please feel free to call with
additional questions or to schedule an opportunity to inspect in
person. We look forward to working with you!