In 1937, International released the streamlined D series trucks.
The D series was more than a facelift: These trucks boasted wider
all-steel cabs with more glass area for better visibility, beefed
up beds with integrated stake pockets on the pickups, and more.
Under the stylish hoods of these trucks was an engine with its
roots in the Willys design, but this 213-cu.in. six now boasted
full-length water jackets, a revised intake and revised combustion
chambers, for an output of about 78 hp. By International standards,
the D-2 was a hot seller, as more than 80,000 examples rolled out
of the company's Springfield, Ohio, plant. (Big trucks were built
in Fort Wayne, Indiana.)
This last year production 1940 International D2 was acquired by the
current owner in Nebraska in 2013 as a running, driving truck in
good condition, if a bit dusty. Upon purchase the owner began an
intensive and complete restoration over the next 9 months, work was
completed in August 2014. In 2014, the truck attended the 25th
Annual I.H. Scout and Light Truck Nationals - Troy, OH where it was
awarded 'Best of Show', 'Best Interior' and the 'Midnight Star
Award' (Director's choice). The truck was also featured at the
annual IHC Collectors 'Red Power Roundup' in Salinas, MO in 2014.
It was also the subject of the article "The Evolution of Automotive
Design in the 1930's" in Vintage Truck Magazine (December
The engine was rebuilt with new internals (pistons, valves, etc.).
Truck was completely disassembled, from the frame to the body to
the electrical, interior, everything was restored, painted,
chromed, whatever was needed. All gauges were restored to original
and tested. Truck was then reassembled and tuned to factory
specification. New braided wiring even contains shielded wire for
the taillights as per factory specifications. Also included with a
NIB SouthWind gasoline in-cab heater.
The International Green paint and trim are in overall excellent
order, the body is straight and solid, the engine bay is extremely
tidy and the chrome bumpers look great. The cargo bed is in very
good order. This truck has a 113-inch wheelbase and a gross vehicle
weight rating of 4,278. An optional side-mounted spare tire is on
the passenger side. The cargo bed has custom made aluminum sidewall
wings rather than standard wood stakes. A custom made, painted
aluminum, International logo is affixed to the tail gate.
This Binder rolls on Goodyear tires, size 6.50-16LT with red wheels
and full factory chrome caps. The tires and wheels are all in very
Powering the truck is a heavy-duty fully rebuilt, Green Diamond 214
CID six-cylinder engine (#GRD-214) backed by a three-speed manual
transmission with synchromesh. Inside, there's a black bench seat
that's in great shape. Mats cover a bare green floor and
complimenting headliner are also in great shape. A three-spoke
Tacoma Cream steering wheel adds contrast. The green instrument
panel with full gauges and inner door panels echo the rest of the
Half-ton competitors to this D-2 in 1940 included Chevrolet (Master
Series GA and GB), Dodge's D-series, Ford, GMC's T-14, Plymouth's
PT-50 and Willys' Americar. This is a Classic Binder that's looking
for its next home, either as an advertising vehicle or as the
latest acquisition for your collection. Stop by MotoeXotica Classic
Cars today to check it out for yourself!
?Chassis #: D291529
This truck is currently located at our facility in St. Louis,
Missouri. Current mileage on the odometer shows 50,022 miles. It is
sold as is, where is, on a clean and clear, mileage exempt
GET OUT AND DRIVE!!!
Note: Please see full terms and conditions listed below that
pertain to the purchase of any said vehicle, thank you.