Lot #631-1930 Mercedes-Benz 260 Stuttgart Cabriolet C
• Vehicle was delivered to Reutter, Stuttgart for bodywork
• Date of Delivery: May 13, 1930
• Purchased by the father-in-law of the consignor while stationed
in Germany as a Medic in the United States Air Force during the
• Photo of the USAF Veteran and his wife with the car just after
• It was shipped home to the United States in the 1950s and titled
in North Carolina in 1955 and is being sold on that title.
• Went through a 8 year Restoration from late 1980s to early
• One family owned for nearly 70 years
• Always stored in climate controlled environment
• 2.6L 6-cylinder engine
• 3-speed manual transmission
• One of the most rare cars that we at Tom Mack Auctions have ever
History: When Daimler and Benz entered into a community of interest
in 1924, heated debates between the two companies were almost
instantaneous and continual. While a common goal existed between
the two companies, a contentious past between them was certain to
cause riffs-and it did. Both agreed the company needed to produce a
midsized car to service the sizeable and potentially lucrative
midsize market, along with commercial, military and government
interests, but reaching that common goal wasn't going to be
The initial effort would be the Stuttgart line of cars offered in
various body styles with a 2.0L or 3.0L engine. Introduced at the
1926 Berlin Auto Show, these cars would be the first automobiles
marketed under the new name of Mercedes-Benz and would largely
become the backbone of the newly formed company's future successes.
Filling the gap between the 2.0L and 3.0L vehicles, in 1929,
Mercedes-Benz introduced the Stuttgart 260 with a 2.6L inline
6-cylinder engine. A wonderful sales success, the Stuttgart line
ushered the company into a solid future, providing a chassis for a
variety of vehicles.
This 1930 260 Stuttgart Cabriolet C was delivered new on May 13,
1930 and delivered to Reutter, Stuttgart for bodywork. Powered by
the 2.6L engine and a 3-speed manual transmission, the car was
bought by Max Garrison while stationed in Germany as a US Air Force
medic during the Korean War. He shipped the car to the U.S. in the
1950s, titling it in North Carolina in 1955. During the late 1980s
and early 1990s, the car underwent an eight-year restoration that
brought it back to an original state.
Presented in a light ivory hue with black fenders spanned by wooden
running boards, the car sports a two-tone light and dark brown
stripe and reddish-orange wheels with whitewall tires. Brightwork
delicately sprinkles the bodywork with a chrome radiator surround,
radiator mascot, chrome bumpers, windshield surround and more. The
interior is upholstered in black, highlighted by an orange
dashboard and wooden steering wheel. Nestled within the left and
right sides of the windshield surround are semaphore turn signals.
Stored in a climate-controlled environment, this 260 Stuttgart
presents exquisitely well and is an exciting representation of one
of the cars that made Mercedes-Benz a commercial success.
For more information about this special vehicle or the September 24
Auction in concord, NC, please call Tom Mack at 803-351-3695.