1942 Ford Deluxe Coupe
The Ford car was thoroughly updated in 1941, in preparation for a
time of unpredictability surrounding World War II. The 1941 design
would continue in an aborted 1942 model year and would be restarted
in 1946 and produced until 1948 when the more modern 1949 Fords
were ready. During the initial year of this car, it evolved
considerably. The front fenders came in three pieces, the theory
being that small damages could be replaced easily. During the year,
it evolved into two pieces with the lower front and back sections
being joined. The hood risers changed, the early ones being the
same as 1940 Fords, changing during the year to the better later
The 1942 model year lasted only four months before the government
ordered a halt to civilian automobile production starting on
February 10, 1942. So, for consignment, an original 1942 prewar
shutdown Deluxe club coupe which has gone through the restoration
mill about 5 years ago, the decision was made to stick with the 6
volt system to retain originality, which this car has aplenty. A
definite award-winning head turner with a 24 stud Flathead V8, nice
paint, and new bumpers it's a nice presentation and a prewar
numbers car, which means there are not a lot of these left.
The "electric shaver" grille, 3 part fenders for easier repairs in
case of a mishap, and no running boards are just a few of the
traits that came with this new design. Our example is bathed in
copper metallic, has well minded gaps, no rust and has fender
skirts included should you want to class things up a bit. Snappy
lines, all curves were coming of age and this car is the definition
of this design trend of the early 40's. Plenty of chrome trimmings
which would be done away with during war production, (Ford solved
this problem by using silver paint!), however this car has the
chrome appearing in various areas like the beltline spear,
windshield trimmings, door handles and wipers. The line of the back
of this car is nothing short of spectacular with its sharply
sloping rear roof and rear glass on either side for the rear
passengers emulating the line of the C pillar. With the gently
sloping trunk lid, it just has the 40's look that has become very
desirable and even hints at aerodynamic thought, although it was
not a concern in 1942. All finishes are excellent and cream colored
wheels wrapped in thin whites and covered in the middle with the
dog dish caps all chromed and we can now say Hee Haw!
With a swing of the doors we can see efforts were made to retain
its original charm with tan vinyl for the door panels, and seating.
Vertical tuck and roll patterning is framed above and below by
smooth tan vinyl on the doors and is separated by maroon piping.
Tan bakelite bezels for all the knobs and levers and shiny levers
are seen. Inside we see the original chairs in a split bench for
the front, and a solid bench on the rear form, but presents well
with new tan vinyl with a shallow tuck and roll pattern and solid
tan bolsters with more maroon piping. All this floating in a sea of
dark brown carpeting. The original chromed art deco inspired dash
in body matching copper metal and lots of chrome trimming is in
front of the large steering wheel with complete circular horn ring
and cloisonne Ford center badge. Nice presentation for this dash
which retains its originality with huge cream yellow bakelite
panels covering the steel. A tan felted headliner is above and is
nice with no stains or wrinkling even as we get to the bottom of
the C pillar near the rear window and on edges around the doors and
windows. A shout out to the trunk which has also been restored with
nice finishing coverings and a full size spare.
Under the long bulbous hood within the fully restored engine bay in
black is a dark olive green painted rebuilt flathead V8 showing as
239 cubes with a single 2-barrel carburetor under an original oil
bath air cleaner. A 3-speed manual transmission is on back with a
3.78 rear axle installed in this model. All looking good in chromed
metal hose extensions and black shiny restored bolt ons for this
Some light surface rust on the X frame and floor pans but only
where the paint has chipped off. All else is clean and black all
the while solid as a rock underneath on the structural end. We note
new dual exhaust with Turbo style mufflers snaking there way
rearward through the suspension and frame. Transverse leaf springs
for the suspension are on as also are drum brakes on all 4
Just a solid car and looking great as we were off for the test
drive. This car started right up and ran smoothly, great
acceleration from the flathead V8, and good cornering. Braking
requires a bit of planning but overall bias free and they work!
With all functions operation I felt like the belle of the ball
driving this pre-war classic.
A head turner, nice finish and good job on the restoration of this
vehicle. Prewar car just before the cut off in 1942, you will have
all chromed trimmings, a Flathead V8, fender skirts and 40's design
that drips aerodynamic looks. Time to go back in time and enjoy the
simpler things in life, all in Copper glory!
Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special
interest automobile showroom, featuring over 650 vehicles for sale
with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. Also, a 400 vehicle
barn find collection is on display.
This vehicle is located in our showroom in Morgantown,
Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia
on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is
www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914.
Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the
vehicle in person.