1954 Willys Ace Deluxe Sedan
The father of the Aero was Clyde Paton, former engineer for Packard
Motor Car Company. 1954 was the most involved year when it came to
models: Only the Lark, Ace and Eagle survived. There were some of
each model that were re-serialed 1953s with 1954 trim hung on them
and then there was the regular run in which some of the Aces and
Eagles received the Kaiser Super-Hurricane engine. On the regular
run, all Aeros received wraparound one-piece windshields and rear
windows and a new instrument panel, even the Lark. All 1954s
received larger taillights, "hooded" headlight and parking light
bezels, and different bumper guards. Nameplates were shuffled
slightly on the regular run cars.
For consignment, a right hand drive Willys Ace from 1954. Our
consignor purchased the car in South Africa and had it shipped to
the US. He was keen on the car due to his father owning a Willys
dealership during the 1950s in New Ulm, Minnesota. The car has been
completely torn down to the frame and meticulously restored. During
this process the body shop was quoted as saying that it was amazing
the car had no rust, most likely due to the dry climate in South
Very straight rust-free steel panels with well minded gaps adorn
all aspects of this 4 door Ace. Having been totally removed from
the frame, all surfaces were sanded then repainted the miles deep
maroon you see on this car now. A simple front grille with a
horizontal bar supporting a W in the grille opening, and a bumper
with vertical guards below along with the stylized jet hood
ornament lead the way. On either side is a shiny trim spear and all
window surrounds are chromed and have new rubber seals. On the back
2 "bump ups' are on top of the rear quarters and on the corners are
the stacked taillights within shiny bezels. Another W badge is on
the center of the trunk lid, and below a near perfect bumper with
more vertical pushers is attached. Body matching maroon steel
wheels with a W badged moon cap in the center are wrapped by wide
white wall tires all around.
Also completely restored we see gray vinyl panels with maroon metal
framing and shiny knobs and actuators for the door panels. A long
solid red vinyl bench with wide tuck and roll stitching is in
front, and another bench is the same pattern and material in back.
These benches are near perfect in their presentation. Upfront a
shiny maroon metal dash has an oval insert in front of the
right-hand driver. This has a like new round speedometer and Willys
borrowing from the aircraft industry, utilized lots of pulls and
shiny buttons for all the controls. A large round black bakelite
steering wheel with a chromed horn ring and another W badge in its
center fronts this dash. The 3-speed manual shifter is on the left
side of the column. Clean like new gray carpeting covers the
floors. Above a tight paneled gray headliner just like the doors.
Also, a note to the trunk which has a new gray checkered vinyl
liner and a sticker tire along with the jack and lug wrench. All in
More perfection under the hood in the form of a 226ci L Head inline
6-cylinder engine. It is painted battleship gray and has a 2-barrel
carburetor on top. A 3-speed manual transmission is on back with a
3.54 rear axle. This engine has been completely rebuilt by a
machine shop and definitely looks the part.
As one would expect from a frame off restoration all we see is
nicely undercoated rust-free surfaces, and not even any road dirt.
A new fuel tank, new brakes and fully functioning independent front
and leaf spring rear suspension are on. Drum braking all mourned
and a shiny single exhaust works its way to the back through the
perfect black metal field.
It takes a bit of getting accustomed to as it is a right hand
driver. It started right up with just a bit of manual choke and
after a brief warmup we were off to the test track. Here it ran
very nicely, although the transmission was a bit finicky when going
from first to second gear. All other functions are working as they
An AACA Jr award winner from 2010, and a perfect two-year
restoration covering all the bases and we now have a very fine
example from 1954. Let's call it an Ace in the hole?!
B-4 Door Sedan
211079-Sequential Unit Number
Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special
interest automobile showroom, featuring over 600 vehicles for sale
with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. Also, a 400 vehicle
barn find collection is on display.
This vehicle is located in our showroom in Morgantown,
Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia
on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is
www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914.
Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the
vehicle in person.