1981 Datsun 280ZX Turbo.
This classic is a 1981 Datsun 280zx Turbo, and was produced from 1978 to 1983. This model (S130) introduced T-Top and Turbo options, and was more aerodynamic and stable at high speeds thanks to the smoother front-end design. I've had her out frequently this Summer. She's plated and on the road right now. It's a Canadian car, so the 130,000 miles translates into about 217,000 Kms.
The engine is a turbocharged 2.8-Liter inline-six paired with a three-speed automatic transmission. She's burgundy and silver in colour. Burgundy leather seats and carpeted throughout.
The 2.8-liter L28ET inline-six came factory-equipped with a Garrett turbocharger and produced 180 horsepower with 203 lb-ft of torque. This car is in the BC Z-Registry.
She's fully loaded, and features:
- a factory NACA hood duct.
- power antenna.
- power windows.
- removeable glass t-top panels, with leather bags to store them in.
- cruise control.
- air conditioning.
- split gas gauge (very cool).
- factory cassette radio with an equalizer.
- new speakers.
- intermittent wipers.
- rear window wiper.
- rear defrost.
- power windows.
- power mirrors.
- power to spare.
- rear window louvers.
- headlight washers.
- privacy covers for insides of t-tops.
- maintenance manual.
- the factory 15″ cast-spoke-style alloy wheels wear BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires. (These rims are highly sought after by Datsun 280 owners).
- braking is handled by power-assisted four-wheel disc brakes, and the car rides on four-wheel independent suspension.
- the analog gauge package includes an 210 km speedometer, a 7k-rpm tachometer, and a boost gauge set among a trio of instruments over the center stack.
As with any older collector, it has a couple of items that could use attention, but it drives nice as is. The frame was restored on this car, but you can almost not tell, yet it’s worth mentioning because that was an issue with the Datsuns over the years. I put a bunch of mechanical work into the engine and cooling system over the years by an authorized dealer. This car runs fine.
There’s always room for someone to love it even more. It needs a return spring in the passenger side seatbelt, and some minor body work could be done. Other than that, this car runs very well and there’s lots more life left in her. It is almost not possible to take it out without getting compliments on it. The pics are not touched up and range from Spring 2020 to Aug. 2021.
I had this car for over 10 yrs.
I’m selling it because I don’t have room for it after my move.
In 1981, for the sportscars that were stock, there were two cars that could out perform this one... Porsche 911 and Porsche 944. This came off of the Datsun site. As the car is light, all of the muscle cars of the day, mustang, firebird, trans am, corvette, etc... couldn’t touch this one.
Are YOU going to be the next proud 1981 Datsun 280zx Turbo driver who enjoys every hill climb, tight turn, and fast straight away in this Gem? She loves to be driven.