SALE IS CURRENTLY PENDING...DOWN PAYMENT MADE.
This is a beautiful restored ruby red
1964 Volkswagen Bus
First Generation Single Cab
Here is your rare chance to own a restored true California bus made in Germany. This is would makes the coolest surfer car or a valuable item for your classic car collection. Body style and interior is restored to its original beautiful condition.
Quality paint job in original M-Plate matching ruby red (VW paint code L456). Newly upholstered grey leather interior (Interior color door panels and seats 80-grey) with white trim. Clean CA Title in my name and registration paid till November 2021. Any. Countless hours and high quality parts were invested to get the car the way it is today. Restoration was just finished in June 2021. Surfboard on photos is not included. Roof rack optional.
Please contact me for any additional questions that you may have. See all photos or watch the HD-quality video (click on second photo) to see the bus running.
Type 2 (T1) mod. 261
VIN: 1181662 Chassis number: 1181662
Serial number: 261181662 Model year: 1964
Destination: USA, San Francisco. Made in Germany.
See fully decoded M-Plate on second to last photo.
In the following description I tried to describe this car as detailed and honest as possible.
Body and Paint:
- Solid California bus.
- Clean original frame without any rust or cuts.
- Professional bodywork was done at typical spots: Lower front nose. Area below front windows. Battery box. Bodywork was done using high quality metal replacement parts from Wolfsburg West.
- In Spring 2021 the bus was restored and painted in original Ruby red (High quality work and materials).
- Front, doors, cabin inside & out, engine bay, roof, truck bed and tailgate painted in ruby red.
- Truck-bed doors adjusted and painted in ruby red. New protection rubbers.
- Front bumper, rear bumper, VW emblem, rims painted in white.
- Cargo box below bed painted in grey.
- New mirrors in chrome.
- New hub cabs in chrome.
- New light lenses forms and back in chrome.
- Door handles in chrome.
- New rear view mirror in chrome.
- New Antenna.
- New windshield wipers.
- Many more parts were purchased and installed.
Upholstery and panels
- Entire Interior was beautifully, professionally done in 2021. (See all photos and video for details).
- Original 3-passenger bench with brand new leather upholstery.
- New red seatbelts with chrome buckets.
- Kick Panels in grey.
- Side panels in grey.
- Original new rubber floor-mat.
- Dash is all original in steel painted in ruby red.
- Original radio delete for radio option.
- Many more parts were installed and much more work was done…
- Type 1- 1493cc, 38 kw (51HP engine)
- Engine serviced and partially rebuilt.
- Heads rebuilt.
- Engine gasket set, new push rod tubes, rings…
- New distributer and cables.
- New fuel pump.
- Carburetor rebuilt
- Many more new parts were installed.
- Engine fires right up and runs great. See video…
- New original muffler installed.
- Transmission was serviced with engine.
- Manual 4 speed gearbox.
- New clutch.
- New clutch rubbers.
- New brake cylinders.
- New master cylinders.
- New brake lines.
- New brake pads.
- Brand new tires front and back in 205/70R15.
- Original rims sand blasted and painted in white.
- Chrome Center hub caps.
- Original emergency kit (See photos)
- These are really hard to make all complete.
- New overriders.
- New guards
- New brackets bolts and nuts.
- blades sandblasted and painted in white.
- Everything was gone through by electrician.
- New battery.
- Blinker switch installed.
- Headlights and high beams work.
- Rear Lights work.
- Complete new rear tail lights installed.
Window glass and rubbers:
- Original Windshield glass installed
- Original side window glass (small and big) installed.
- Original side window glass (small and big) installed.
- Original rear window glass installed.
- All new rubbers all around windows, doors, trunk, pedals, steering column…
- Many more parts replaced with new parts.
- Roofrack is optional.
- Clean CA title in my name.
- All fees paid till November 2021.
- See last two photo for vin and title information.
Information for East coast and international buyers
I will do my best to assist you with shipping and to provide any additional information, photos or videos that would help to make this purchase more comfortable for you.
General information about this make and model: Why is this model so rare and valuable in the US? Source wikipedia:
The first generation of the Volkswagen Type 2 with the split windshield, informally called the Microbus, Splitscreen, or Splittie among modern fans, was produced from 8 March 1950 through the end of the 1967 model year. Certain models of the Volkswagen Type 2 played a role in a historic episode during the early 1960s known as the Chicken War. France and West Germany had placed tariffs on imports of US chicken. Diplomacy failed, and in January 1964, two months after taking office, President Johnson imposed a 25% tax (almost ten times the average US tariff) on potato starch, dextrin, brandy, and light trucks. The Chicken Tax directly curtailed importation of German-built Type 2s in configurations that qualified them as light trucks – that is, commercial vans (panel vans) and pickups; vans imported in passenger configuration were not affected. While post-1971 Type 2 commercial vans and single-cab and double-cab pickups can be found in the United States today, they are exceedingly rare. Any post-1971 specimen found ostensibly has had its import tariff paid.
I tried my best to describe this car as detailed and honest as possible. This car is sold as is. All classic cars, regardless of age, mileage or manufacturer are subject to cosmetic wear and mechanical failure.