The Jaguar Mark 2 is a mid-sized luxury sports saloon built from
late 19593 #fn3 to 1967 by Jaguar in Coventry, England. The
previous Jaguar 2.4 Litre and 3.4 Litre models made between 1955
and 1959 are identified as Mark 1 Jaguars.
The Mark 2 was a fast and capable saloon in line with Sir William
Lyons' 1950s advertising slogan: Grace . . . Space . . . Pace,
available with all three versions of the advanced Jaguar XK6 I6
engine, the 2.4, 3.4, and 3.8 litre.
Production of the 3.8 ended in the (northern) autumn of 1967, with
discounted sale of the 3.4 continuing on as the 340 until September
1968, and the 2.4 as the 240 until April 1969.
The new car was re-engineered above the waistline, with vision
dramatically improved by an 18% increase in cabin glass area.
Slender front pillars allowed a wider windscreen, and the rear
window almost wrapped around to the enlarged side windows, now with
the familiar Jaguar D-shape above the back door and fully chromed
frames for all the side windows. The radiator grille was changed,
and larger side, tail and fog lamps repositioned. Inside a new
heating system was fitted and ducted to the rear compartment. There
was an improved instrument layout that became standard for all
Jaguar cars until the XJ series II of 1973.