1989 Chrysler Maserati 16V
- Best Chrysler Maserati currently on the market
- Maserati 16V DOHC engine
- Rare: only 501 manufactured with this engine, only around 40 still are operational according to an Antique Automobile Club of America count
- Beautiful original full-grain Italian leather covers the seats, dashboard, door panels, etc.
- This is an unrestored original, almost entirely original parts (the stereo was replaced)
- 22,444 miles
- One owner
- Hand made in Italy by Maserati
- Original parts were sourced by Maserati from world-class manufacturers: Cosworth head, Getrag transmission, Mahle pistons, Fichtel und Sachs suspension, Fondmetal wheels, Crane Cams cams, IHI turbocharger, and Chrysler engine block (as in today's Maserati's)
- Includes both a convertible top (in excellent shape) and a hardtop
- Also includes the original toolkit, umbrella, spare tire and cover, and shop manual
- Fully functional: everything works
- Award winner at local shows (I haven't tried it in any national shows yet)
I have always done all of the lubrication, oil changes, regular maintenance and filter changes myself. It has not been in the shop since it’s warranty expired over 20 years ago (except an electrical connector that vibrated loose and an AC conversion). So it has proven to be a rare exotic car that is very reliable. That’s a rare combination!
The only modification from the original was the stereo which was replaced with a very good Pioneer unit that looks and sounds much better than the original.
Three of the tires and the spare are original. The fourth is the same type as the original tires, but was replaced a while ago. All are in good shape.
The car is in my garage, where it has lived all of its life. I run the engine once per month, and in recent years I have mostly driven it to local car shows. So currently it does get driven in the summer, but not that much. I used to use it as a Blue Ridge Parkway cruiser, always with the top down (unless it rained). It was fantastic for that purpose, but my dermatologist has now convinced me that my top-down cruising days are over.