1927 Dodge Brothers Screen Side
NO TITLE-SOLD ON A BILL OF SALE ONLY
After successful involvement in a glass manufacturing company,
brothers Joseph, Robert and Ray Graham began in 1919 producing kits
to modify Ford Model Ts and TTs into trucks. That led to the
brothers building their trucks using engines of various
manufacturers and the Graham Brothers brand. Eventually they
settled on Dodge engines, and soon the trucks were sold by Dodge
dealers. The Grahams expanded from their beginnings in Evansville,
Indiana, opening plants in 1922 in Detroit and in 1925 in Stockton,
California. Dodge purchased the Graham Brothers truck firm in 1925,
and the three Graham brothers took on executive positions at Dodge.
The Graham Brothers brand lasted until 1929. Chrysler Corporation
took over Dodge in 1928.
For consignment, a RARE screen side truck built by the Dodge
Brothers then shipped to the Graham brothers for the final body
attachments including the screen sides seen today. Used to haul
anything (mostly produce on large scale) this truck would allow the
cargo to be aired out as one drives to the destination. This truck
comes to us in unrestored form, primered steel body with no rust,
and a wood topper, complete with bump out side screens. Truly a
rare barn find ready for the plucking from the hallowed halls of
Classic Auto Mall.
Nice straight steel panels primed make up the body of this truck
which is on a car chassis. A black painted cowled hood is open with
a front bumper, grille, and dual cowlings. The remainder of the
body includes single passenger rectangle style doors, and the
screened in sides over the pickup bed. The roof is wood framed and
is topped with a canvas in fair condition. A wood plank bed is
under this canvas roof, and all appears dry. Note the tailgate on
back, with no rear bumper. 19-inch solid steel wheels are all
around, painted red.
A swing of either metal stamped door panels, and we can see a long
single bench seat covered in blue vinyl which will need some TLC. A
large wood steering wheel slightly cracked, is fronting the
original simple 3-gauge dash in the center all metal surrounding. A
large shift lever points upward toward the driver, as does the
handbrake. Black painted wood lath runs rearward and covers the
inside of the roof of this screen sider. A plate on the interior
passenger side denotes this truck as a 3/4-ton variety.
A 212ci 4-cylinder engine, gas powered sits in an unrestored engine
bay, although other than some slight patina appears clean. 1-barrel
of carburetor covers the fuel intake specs, and a 3-speed manual
transmission is on back. We note that the engine does turn over by
hand, a promising sign.
Some very minor surface rust is seen underneath, but all is well
cared for, and solid as a rock as to the frame and undercarriage.
Transverse leaf springs are on all 4 corners, as are mechanical
drum brakes all around. Undercarriage wood exposed appears in good
A nice rare example of the Dodge and Graham brothers coming
together to create the screen side truck on a car chassis. This
symbiotic relationship revealed many specialized vehicles, and this
one fits into that category perfectly. An unusual setup, rust free
and here for the collection. Throw that produce on and let's head
for the farmers market.
NO TITLE-SOLD ON A BILL OF SALE ONLY
Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special
interest automobile showroom, featuring over 600 vehicles for sale
with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. Also, a 400 vehicle
barn find collection is on display.
This vehicle is located in our showroom in Morgantown,
Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia
on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is
www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914.
Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the
vehicle in person.