Continental chassis BC5LBY was originally delivered through S.A.
DuGarage de L'Athenee in Switzerland, for their customer Ervin
Piqueres. The new Bentley also had the distinction of being
presented at the Geneva motor show in the year of its completion,
A man of fine taste, Piqueres selected one of what is believed to
be just 36 total James Young bodied 4 door sport saloons, of which
just 6 where factory LHD cars like this one. This legendary
workshop was established in Bromley, south eastern London in 1863
originally building horse carriages and eventually graduated to
automotive work in 1908. Their first effort on a Bentley frame was
completed in 1921 and by 1937 the firm had been procured by Jack
Barclay, famed London based Rolls Royce dealer. By the time Mr.
Piqueres placed his order, James Young had long been established as
one of the foremost premium Coachbuilders for the Bentley brand.
BC5LBY had additionally been optioned with appointments such as:
air-conditioning, white sided Dunlop tubeless tires, high frequency
horn, and an electric Aerial as listed on the chassis specification
After spending some time in the alpine environment of Switzerland,
the RROC lists that the big Bentley had traded hands to Ralph H.
Kress of New York by the mid 1970's. For two decades it continued
under his care until 1997. The RROC directory of 1999 then lists
Richard Riegel Jr. of Delaware as the new owner.
The lightweight aluminum body has been finished in a brilliant
Burgundy paint with exquisite Tan leather interior. Both were
restored to a high standard by the specialists at Hilborn Motor Car
Interiors in 2012. Alongside the cosmetic refreshments, the motor
and transmission have been refurbished. The vehicle also had work
done to the air conditioning system together with new brakes and
tires. Tools and BDC/RROC records - including the build sheet - can
be found in the history file. A car of solid condition both inside
and out, many more miles of high speed cruising will be easily
achieved by the new owner. $215,000