24 Hours of LeMans.
In late 1962, Chevrolet chief engineer Zora Arkus Duntov set out to
build a production run of 125 Corvette race cars with the ultimate
goal of winning the GT class at 24 Hours of LeMans. Inside Duntov's
shop, the project was known as the "LightWeight." As they neared
completion, Chevrolet marketing christened the cars "Grand Sports."
Only three of the 1963 Grand Sports were ever sold.
In 1965, #003 Corvette Grand Sport was raced by one of the original
owners, Delmo Johnson. For that race, Duntov provided the race team
with the first racing big block engine ever to leave the
We have one of the best 1965 Corvette Grand Sport conversions in
the world. It is titled and technically street legal. The previous
owner did have plates on it, but didn't buzz the neighborhood.
This car was never raced competitively. It's been displayed at car
shows and raceways around the country and only driven around the
track for the fans.
More than $250,000 has been invested in this conversion. This is a
rare opportunity to own a Grand Sport with a McLaren ZL-1 engine.
Please call our Sales Manager Bob Sindelar directly at
Here's a list of details:
- Mid America body panels and tube frame with full roll cage.
- McLaren Can-Am ZL-1 Aluminum big block motor.
- Under 10 miles on the engine rebuild.
- Chevy/Greenwood cross-ram fuel injection manifold.
- Fuel injection converted to electronic by Kinsler with BigStuff3
- Auto Gear custom ratio 4 speed transmission, custom drive shaft &
- 1990 Corvette ZR-1 suspension and brakes.
- 16" Hildebrand style wheels.
- Custom SS headers and side pipes.
- Butler Seats, Simpson 5-point belts
More details on systems:
Alden coil overs on all 4 corners. J&E 12.5 forged pistons,
Crower 1414 cam kit, roller rockers, Manley SS valves, titanium
retainers, Chevy forged crank, Oliver forged rods, Jesel timing
belt, McLaren magnesium valve covers, Stewart Stage 2 water pump,
Howe custom radiator, Quartermaster scatter shield and 7 � triple
disk clutch, Autometer gages, ATL fuel cell, duel Bosh fuel pumps,
Accusump, Weaver dry sump pump and Mclaren magnesium dry sump pan.
Fuel management system includes EGT on all cylinders, oxygen, idle
air, throttle position, barometric pressure, knock sensor, engine
temp, vacuum pressure and RPM.
Call Bob for a showing at 630-230-0441 CorvetteMikeMidwest.com