1940 Mercury Eight Convertible
Mercury is a defunct division of the U.S. automobile manufacturer
Ford Motor Company. Marketed as an entry-level premium brand for
nearly its entire existence, Mercury was created in 1938 by Edsel
Ford to bridge the price gap between the Ford and Lincoln vehicle
Reminiscent of the 1940's design line this car drips from the era.
With teardrop headlight bezels now mounted completely within the
front fenders, a V shaped grille and running boards now ready to
almost disappear, this car presents with upscale class and in
The overall designs they are-a-changin' with disappearing running
boards, integrated teardrop headlights in the fenders, a belt line
trim spear, simple curved solid bumper, bulbous fenders, and a
rounded sloping down trunk lid the beginnings of aerodynamics are
in their infancy with the design of this car. Chrome is excellent,
top works fantastic and looks great up or down and metal panels are
straight and rust free, bathed in deep burgundy. The tan canvas
convertible top has a clear rear window in plastic, and some snappy
red piping trim running around it. New pie crust wide white radials
are covered in the center with chromed deep-dish rims, burgundy
steel wheels, and dog dish chromed centers. The 1940's have started
off with a bang.
New cream faced VDO gauges replace the originals and are embedded
in a horizontal ribbed metal panel painted brown. The entire dash
is full metal jacket and all bathed in brown and includes a
rectangular art deco styled clock with a fat cream bakelite bezel.
The original steering wheel in a heavier banjo style has our
namesake god's head, complete with wings in its center. Brown vinyl
covers the seats both large benches the front sporting a split back
for easy access to the rear bench. Door panels are a matching brown
vinyl with some leather looking folds and crackle finish to it.
Nice clean thick pile brown carpeting floods the floors and all is
A 239ci V8 complete with Edelbrock aluminum heads and dual Ford
2-barrel carbs, will utilize every inch of the 3-speed manual
transmission attached to the back and a 3.54 rear axle. The engine
bay is looking well organized with red spark plug wires all
marching inline, and a blue painted block with some shiny chromed
attachments, and dual polished radiator fluid circulating
Fully restored absolutely no rust, a strong X frame and sturdy body
hangers, rockers and floorpans. New exhaust, and that blue engine
block has no runs or drips showing. Seen are Smitty's mufflers in
glass pack style. Transverse leaf springs for the suspension all
around, and drum brakes are in use.
Simply...elegant, this rolling 1940 Dearborn sculpture offers up a
Overall a wonderful restoration, all buttoned up, with near perfect
paint, excellent undercarriage, beautifully detailed engine and
bay, and very comfortable interior with just a small upgrade to
modern on the instruments. Like a fine wine it has aged very well,
and can be opened anytime you want.
Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special
interest automobile showroom, featuring over 600 vehicles for sale
with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. Also, a 400 vehicle
barn find collection is on display.
This vehicle is located in our showroom in Morgantown,
Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia
on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is
www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914.
Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the
vehicle in person.