Hewitt Motor Company offered the first V8 engine back in 1907, but Ford introduced the first low-priced V8 to the masses in the 1930s. Ford’s line of cars in 1937 had one major change: the Model 74 entry-level 136 cu in V8 (60 HP) in addition to its popular Model 78 221 cu inch flathead V8 (85 HP). There were several design changes as well that gave the 1937 Fords a classic, more streamlined style, including curvier front and rear fenders and a grill with horizontal bars that cut a sharp V shape in the side hood and V-shaped windshields.
Thanks to Edsel Ford and Bob Gregorie’s innovative decision, this year brought out the first line with headlights mounted on the front fenders, which was a major modernization that became commonplace after WWII.
All the passenger cars that year shared a 112 in wheelbase in addition to a redesigned block, head and crankshaft on their all-steel bodies. Slow to adopt new technology, Henry Ford still offered mechanical brakes on his 1937 models, which were operated with cables instead of rods like earlier versions.
The 5-Window Coupe was named for having one quarter window in addition to the door window on each side, along with the rear window. A “coupe” meant any two-door car smaller than a sedan. Total Ford production that year was 921,000 vehicles, and many of these V8s from the 1930s went on to be modified in to street rods. All restored Fords from 1932-1937 are considered highly collectible.
The same owner has lovingly cared for this 1937 Ford 5-Window Coupe since 1997. Upgrades include a Fenton intake manifold heater and two Stromberg carburetors as well as hydraulic brakes, an electric fan and fuel pump, and a beehive oil filter.