To Be OFFERED AT AUCTION at RM Sothebys' Monterey event, 15 - 17
$675,000 - $750,000
- Original California-delivery Series I LHD example
- Matching-numbers engine and chassis
- Finished in its original factory color combination
- One of approximately 149 first-series cars built
- Only 73 original left-hand-drive examples
- Documented with a copy of its original build sheet
- Complete with factory manual, tools, and jack
In 1956 Aston Martin began development of the all-new DB4, which
debuted at the London Motor Show in the fall of 1958. Not only did
it set the tone of Aston Martin design for years to come, the DB4
also introduced an updated engine designed by Tadek Marek, whose
name became synonymous with the marque's engineering and
performance excellence. The 3,670 cc DOHC engine was entirely
constructed of aluminum and produced 240 bhp in standard tune with
twin SU carburetors. Most important, the new 3.7-liter six-cylinder
engine provided a platform for further development and continued
with various displacements and power ratings through mid-1972.
Aston Martin turned to Carrozzeria Touring for its Superleggera
("superlight") body design, comprising a lightweight yet strong
framework of small-diameter tubes dressed in aluminum panels. The
chassis, designed by Harold Beach, was both simpler and more rigid
than that of its predecessors, using a new pressed-steel frame.
Four-wheel Dunlop disc brakes matched the car's impressive top
speed of over 140 mph. The DB4 claims the distinction of being the
first production car capable of sprinting from 0-100 mph and back
down to zero in less than 30 seconds. It is fair to say, then, that
the DB4 placed Aston Martin back on equal footing with its Italian
counterparts from Ferrari and Maserati.
Offered complete with a copy of its original build sheet, this
first-series DB4 from 1960 is an original left-hand-drive example.
The car was originally delivered to Charles Hornburg, Aston
Martin's premier U.S. West Coast importer. Through Hornburg, the
car was sold new to Paul S. Pollack (Karl's Shoes Limited) of Los
Angeles, California. Though much of this DB4's early history
remains unknown, in the 1990s it was owned and fully restored by
well-known and respected Aston Martin vintage racing technician Mr.
S. Rodd., now an Aston Martin franchise dealer-owner.
Around 2000, this DB4 was traded to Aston Martin dealer Miller
Motorcars in Greenwich, Connecticut. Subsequently, 245/L found a
home with Mr. Raymond Minella, a well-known Connecticut collector.
In Minella's care, this DB4 won several 1st in Class concours
awards. The car was then sold to another well-known Aston Martin
collector and moved across the ocean to the UK. Purchased in 2011
by Tom Papadopoulos of Autosport Designs, 245/L returned to the
United States. Having only 6,000 miles since complete restoration,
it was thoroughly serviced and used for several seasons of motoring
enjoyment. In 2016 it took part in the Colorado Grand 1,000-mile
vintage rally. Shortly thereafter, the car was sold to its most
recent caretaker. During this time, it was decided to return 245/L
to its original color combination of Snow Shadow Grey over a lovely
Red leather interior. It has thus been the subject of a complete
photo-documented cosmetic restoration and is now presented in
exceptional concours condition throughout.
The Series 1, with its rear-hinged bonnet, is considered by many to
be the most beautiful of the DB4 range for its egg-crate front
grille, larger bonnet scoop, and straight cathedral taillights, all
part of the original Touring of Milan design. This example,
complete with books, tools, and factory jack, will make for a
welcome addition to an enthusiast's garage or collection.To view
this car and others currently consigned to this auction, please
visit the RM website at rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo19