This vehicle is no longer available for sale on ClassicCars.com. Please set an alert if you would like to be notified as soon as siimilar vehicles become available.
One of only 61 built - Original A6 road car
Eligible for all events including the Mille Miglia
Factory equipped with 3 Weber carburetors
Wonderfully restored by Italian specialists
Period racing history
1948 Maserati A6/1500
The Maserati brothers established themselves as racing car builders in 1926 when Alfieri Maserati drove one of their cars to success in that year's Targa Florio. There followed a succession of successful Grand Prix cars, culminating in the exquisitely proportioned 250F model in which Fangio won the 1957 World Championship.
Alongside their track successes Maserati had unveiled the new roadgoing Tipo A6 model at the 1947 Geneva Salon, which featured a single overhead cam six-cylinder motor clothed in aluminum coachwork designed and made by Pininfarina. The combination of a sweet engine, balanced road holding and advanced styling was just what the company needed at the time and thus began a new era of exotic Maserati road cars.
The history of this car, as recorded in copies of the Maserati Avviso factory order sheets dated 12/12/48 and further supported by a letter on file from the President of the US Maserati Club, confirms that chassis # 060 was built in December 1948 and with the original color of Amaranto (reddish purple) exterior (see text below); information does not record the interior color.
The car, equipped with the desirable triple Weber 36 DO2 carburetors and also fitted with wire wheels was first sold to a Mr. Delo Lombardi of Milan, on December 23rd 1948 and later owned by Sig. Franco Bordoni, also of Milan, from August 23rd 1950 to February 5th 1951. It was then purchased by Fernando H. Segura of Bellaire, Texas on September 10th 1951. The next recorded owner was Mr. Gary C. Elliott of Houston, Texas on October 9th 1956 followed by Ruther McIntosh from Pasadena, California on April 3rd 1958.
It was then in the hands of Franco Bordini and he drove the car to a First in Class at the Coppa Inter-Europa at Monza on 29th May 1949. Bordoni was something of an Italian hero, grandson to Felice Bisleri the founder of Italian liqueur company Ferro-China-Bisleri and from whom Bordoni earned the nickname 'Robur' or strength! Post-war Bordoni started to race sports cars and he went on to win the Italian championship in 1953, earning him a Maserati factory drive. Back to 1950, he took another First in Class again at the Coppa Inter-Europa at Monza in this car, then entered the Giro Notturno del Lario the next month in June 1950 and finally, entered as car #70 in the September 1950 Circuito della Superba.
By the 1990's the car was part of a superb US based Maserati collection and the owner sent it back to Italy for a complete restoration which was overseen by Mr. Adolfo Orsi (of the Orsi Family and who had taken over the Maserati company ownership in 1937). It was during this restoration that the light blue metallic color was discovered, thereby suggesting it was actually the original color and not Amaranto as recorded in the factory ledger, and with the interior trimmed in cloth and leather per original.
Between 2003 - 2005 the six cylinder engine, numbered # 085, was completely rebuilt by Candini of Modena. The original engine sump numbered # 060 is supplied with the car's sale. Photographs on file confirm the restoration work.
This is a real jewel of a car; it is highly event-eligible and with lovely period history.