We are pleased to present this 1979 Mercedes-Benz 450SL which I
have owned since 1996 (third owner). The ride in this luxury
roadster is smooth and zippy and it still looks as elegant and is
as much of a head-turner as it was almost 40 years ago. It provides
a very comfortable ride while instilling the driver with confidence
in its handling ability, especially at higher speeds. The interior
appointments are simply beautiful, and compliment the graceful
lines of the exterior. This car is one of the cleanest 450’s you
will find and it is completely rust-free. You will feel like
million bucks cruising with the top down in this beauty. It was and
still is the ultimate iconic luxury sports roadster. You can’t park
in front of a restaurant or stop for gas without someone invariably
asking you, “What year is that Mercedes?” This roadster was built
in Stuttgart, Germany during the era when Mercedes-Benz was
truly “Engineered like no other car in the world.”
The R107 chassis 2-seat convertible roadster with standard soft
top and optional hardtop was first manufactured in 1971 with sales
commencing in North America beginning in 1972 and was continuously
produced with minor variations and various drivetrains until the
model year 1989. In September 1977 the 450 SL 5.0 joined the
line, featuring a new all-aluminum five-liter V8, aluminum alloy
bonnet and boot-lid, with a small front-lip spoiler. The
450 5.0 was produced in order to homologate the SLC for the
1978 World Rally Championship. Starting in 1980, the 350, 450 and
450 SLC 5.0 models (like the 350 and 450 SL) were discontinued in
1980 with the introduction of the 380 and 500 in March 1980.
At the same time, the cars received a very mild makeover; the
3-speed automatic was replaced by a four-speed unit. SOURCE:
SPECIFIC BUILD INFORMATION
Paint is original color (Silver). Body is completely original
and was Ziebart rust protected in December of 1979 immediately
after it was purchased. This body is solid with no rattles and has
absolutely no rust, which is hard to find on a nearly 40-year-old
car of this vintage. This vehicle has been pampered, always garaged
and never driven in the rain or snow.
- Hardtop and soft-top look brand new today (both rarely used).
Soft-top was replaced in 1996 and rarely used since.
- Chromed 15” 1997 Mercedes alloy wheels added in 1999 (original
14" OEM alloys available, but not included in the sale).
- Mercedes Windschott windscreen added in 1999.
- Mercedes Euro headlamps added in 2003.
- Four brand NEW Bridgestone Turanzas, top of the line tires,
have less than 200 miles on them.
- Interior has adjustable leather bucket seats (Burgundy), NOT
MB-Tex, that are in excellent condition.
- The dash and both leather seats were replaced in 1996.
- A matching leather jump seat was added in 1996.
- Air Conditioning blows nice and cold, which is unusual for a
vehicle of this age.
- Original stereo AM FM radio with selective height adjustment
- Power windows.
- Cruise control (works when it wants to).
- Power steering.
- Power assisted four wheel disc brakes.
- Electrically heated rear window on the hardtop.
- 2-speed windshield wipers with 5-second interval mist
- Dual outside mirrors.
- Halogen Fog Lamps
- Color coordinated velour trunk carpeting
- Mercedes-Benz first aid kit in trunk
- Engine is the original, fuel injected, all aluminum 5.0 liter 4
stroke V8 generating 225 HP. This engine is bullet proof and is one
of the best, most reliable engines ever produced by Mercedes-Benz
and it runs fantastic.
- 3-speed automatic transmission runs smooth.
- Recently replaced the Catalytic Converter and had the fuel
mixture adjusted to specs to pass emissions tests.
- The 4-wheel independent suspension is in great shape. Has a
very nice ride.
- The Vin number, with little Mercedes-Benz Star Logos on each
side of the number, is engraved into the front frame cross member,
indicating that this car was never in a collision. If that front
frame member is replaced it would not have the vin number engraved
into it, but they would unscrew the vin plate and transfer it.
- Extras include; hardtop with castered dolly storage rack.
- A canvas tonneau car cover. This was used in lieu of both tops
when stored in my garage or parked out in the sun to preserve the
- Two matching OEM Mercedes 450SL floor mats with Mercedes carpet
clips (showing some wear) are included.
- Two sets of original keys.
- One soft/hard top removal tool.
- One Haynes Mercedes-Benz Repair Manual, for 350 & 450
- Owner’s manual, Maintenance booklet, Engine/Chasis Catalog and
all maintenance & repair records, and receipts for last 21 years,
- There are a few chips/imperfections in the paint. (See detailed
- Left front fender panel near the headlight has been repaired
from parking lot incident, and as a result, I had the whole car
repainted the original color in 2003 because could not exactly
match 24-year-old slightly faded silver metallic paint.
- Odometer quit working approximately 6 years ago. Had it fixed
twice before that, but it kept reverting to not working, so I gave
up on that aspect. The car odometer shows 64K, it had 50K on it
when I bought it, but has less than 85K miles on it, as I put a new
set of Michelins on it shortly after I purchased it in 1996, and
just recently replaced them.
For more information please contact owner at 314-409-7766.
The cost of parts and restoration of these vehicles are increasing
daily. They are not making any more and, therefore, they are
becoming rarer by the day. Buy one complete and ensure your
investment for the future. An excellent investment and something
you can enjoy daily. Collectible vintage vehicles have historically
appreciated at a rate greater than that stock market, gold and
other arts and collectibles as documented by many articles and
auction result tracking.
- Interior Color:Burgundy
- Trim Level:Leather
- Title Status:Clear
- Aftermarket Wheels:Yes
- Restoration History:Partially Restored
- Exterior Condition:Excellent
- Seat Material:Leather
- Air Conditioning:Yes
- AM/FM Radio:Yes
- Tinted Windows:Yes
- Bucket Seats:Yes
- Cruise Control:Yes
- Power Brakes:Yes
- Power Steering:Yes
- Power Locks:Yes
- Power Windows:Yes
- Fuel Injection:Yes
- Electronic Ignition:Yes
- Engine History:Original
- Engine Condition:Running
- Drive Train:Rear-wheel drive