FROM THE MISSOULA AUTO MUSEUM COLLECTION: Vehicle to be offered for Auction sale WITHOUT RESERVE and SOLD to the highest bidder January 19th - 22nd, 2017 at Russo and Steele's 17th Annual Scottsdale Arizona Auction at the Salt River Fields at Talking Stick. Please contact us for more information. Long and rightly advertised as the "Standard of the World," GM's Cadillac Division finally reached the summit of America's fine car market during 1947 when it convincingly outsold its old archrival Packard by nearly 11,000 units. In fact, by 1947, Cadillac enjoyed immense buyer demand with nearly 96,000 vehicle orders awaiting fulfillment. Cadillac's postwar momentum was furthered by the stylistic genius of GM design Chief Harley Earl and his team, embodied by the new-for-1948 body designs inspired by Earl's appreciation of the sleek and futuristic shape of Lockheed's P-38 Lightning fighter aircraft of WW II fame. The 1948 models also marked Cadillac's first application of tailfins, which remained a design hallmark of GM's luxury division for over 15 years. Underneath their sleek exteriors and elegant passenger compartments, Cadillac models featured advanced engineering to match, led by a powerful new overhead-valve V-8 engine debuting for 1949. Initially displacing 331 cubic inches and developing 160 horsepower, the new Cadillac V-8 was at once compact, highly efficient, and remarkably quiet in operation. While Cadillac marketing traditionally focused on luxury, quality, and prestige, the GM Division now enjoyed a well-deserved reputation for excellent - perhaps startling - performance with the new V-8 engine. Cadillac and the other GM Divisions enjoyed outstanding promotion during the era with the lavish Motorama travelling shows, which previewed many of the stylistic and engineering advances that would later grace the company's production models it sold to the public. The "halo effect" generated by its show cars and popular production models helped Cadillac rise from 10th to 9th position in American sales rankings for 1956. To better meet the growing demand, Cadillac announced the purchase of the former Hudson plant in Detroit's east end on August 5, 1956. Offered from the Missoula Auto Museum Collection, this 1956 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible is a quintessential "Pink Cadillac" offered in nice condition. Riding on Cadillac's iconic "Saber-Spoke" wheels with wide whitewall tires, it also features two-tone leather upholstery. Desirable features and options include the Autronic Eye automatic headlight dimmer, a radio, clock, and more. As offered, it is ideally suited for continued showing and touring, and it will certainly make a great addition to any collection celebrating fine automotive design.