*** View Only. Vehicle Not For Sale out of Collection! ***The Willys-Overland nameplate dates back to 1908. Willys was the registered trademark owner of the name Jeep. The Jeep name is thought to have derived from the phonetic pronunciation of the first letters of the term “General Purpose”. Over 650,000 military units were built during World War II, in 1945 Willys began production of the civilian jeep version, with the model designation of C-J. This 1948 Willys Jeep CJ-2A was 1 of 74,122 produced. It is equipped with the reliable 60 horsepower Go-Devil 4 cylinder engine. The Willys-Overland Company and the Jeep trademark were ultimately sold to Kaiser in 1953 and Kaiser continued to produce the Jeep until the sale of Kaiser-Jeep to AMC in 1970.