There were 64564 Austin Healey’s, “Big Healey’s, built between 1953 and 1967. In 1967 there were 3051 BJ8’s built, making the vehicle fairly rare. A certified copy of the factory record issued by British Motor Industry Heritage Trust was issued for the car. The engine, drivetrain, and brakes are each in excellent condition. The electrical system (heater, lights, horn, etc.) are all functional . The car has no rust. Healey offered 5 new car options, this vehicle was built with all 5: Heater, Overdrive, Wire Wheels, Adjustable Steering Column, and Seat Belts (lap).
Changes/additions to this vehicles original production include:
- Changed from a negative to positive ground,
- “Flash Thrower” electronic distributor by Pertronix,
- Spin-on oil filter adapter,
- Drilled and slotted front brake rotors,
- L/H & R/H Floor pans and transmission cover have been covered with sound and heat insulation, and
- Kenwood KDC-X598 radio w/CD player, USB port and head phone jack.
The following vehicle parts have been replaced, added and/or rehabbed over the last 2 years:
- Added a front muffler skid plate,
- Added 3-pt seat belts,
- Added a Front Plate Bracket and license frame,
- Replaced the Glove Box lock assembly,
- Replaced L/H & R/H seat slide sets and packing piece,
- Replace weather stripping for trunk lid, L/H & R/H doors and Welt,
- Replaced brake and clutch fluid reservoir and lines,
- Replaced exhaust system including front, center and rear attachment hardware,
- Rehabbed trunk and trunk lid,
- Replaced the fuel tank sending unit,
- Recovered center armrest, and
- Replaced and recovered rear seat pans, seat back and parcel shelf including all new wood and new hardware.
Additional items include:
- Tonneau cover & bow,
- Drivers Handbook for AH3000 Mark III,
- “Healey Owners Handbook of Maintenance and Repair” Floyd Clymer Publications,
- drain plug wrench, and
- Box of excess parts.
Recent maintenance completed include:
- Rocker arm adjustment and valve cover gasket replaced,
- oil pan gasket replaced,
- carburetor calibration, and
- 6000 mile or 6 month service.